Friday, August 12, 2011

The Wonders of Quinoa

To be completely honest, quinoa is something I have been eating for only two months now. This is because it was only two months ago I discovered I could buy it at the bulk food store. Before then, quinoa seemed like a distant dream to me, only available at speciality health food stores and over the internet. 
Today, not a week goes by where I don't eat quinoa at least twice. As of now, I only eat it as a replacement to rice whenever I make a stir-fry. But who knows, maybe in a few more months I will know some other ways to eat it and then quinoa will become a staple in my diet, just like it has become for many other vegetarians. 
So you may be wondering what quinoa is. Well, it's a seed that is packed full of protein. Because it is a seed and does not come from an animal in any way, it is eaten by both vegetarians and vegans. And the best part is, it is really simple to make!
First, go out and buy your quinoa.
Measure out the amount you would like to use. 1/4 cup is a single serving.
Rinse it for a minute or so.
Put it into a pot and let it simmer for 15 minutes. The amount of water you need to use is double the amount of quinoa you are making. So if you are eating 1/4 cup of quinoa, you need 1/2 of water. 
After 15 minutes your quinoa will look like this. Quinoa doesn't really have a taste and has a texture that is similar to white rice mixed with couscous. 
So easy! After you have made your quinoa, now you can either eat it on it's own with some seasonings, or use it as a replacement for rice. No matter how it's eaten, it will be a healthy and simple way for vegetarians, vegans, and anybody else, to get their protein. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment