Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Banana Ice Cream Fail

So a few months ago I read a post on a blog called "(never home)maker" about making ice-cream using frozen banana chunks, and nothing else. Here's the post.  It looks amazing, doesn't it? Anyways, this post and the thought of making healthy "ice-cream" when ever I wanted was one of the biggest reasons why I decided to buy the food processor I have today. Well, I have since made banana ice-cream many times for pretty much everyone I know (it's that great) and I thought it might be fun to show you the photos from my first try at making banana ice-cream. It was...not so great.
Put the frozen banana chunks into the processor. Good.
So far, everything's fine.
Let it run a bit. Lookin' good, maybe scrape down the side. Let it run some more.
Wait, Don't Stop! What Are You Doing!? NOOOoooooo.
*sigh* So everything was fine...until I panicked and decided to stop "before I make things worse". Here's what essentially went wrong. I stopped processing it too soon. If you ever decide to make this, there are just three rules. 
  1. Don't try this with a blender, it just won't work, not even with a fancy smancy one.
  2. Don't stop processing until the banana becomes a soft white mixture, which it will if you give it enough time.
  3. It doesn't really freeze all that well on it's own. You really need to add something like corn syrup or peanut butter. 
There will be a point in time when the food processor is running and nothing is moving. Trust me, you aren't done yet! Little by little the banana will break down and start to rotate again and will become frothy and ice-cream like. This happens to me every time.
I promise, pictures of a successful banana ice-cream adventure will come soon!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment