Saturday, September 3, 2011

Crepe Photoshoot

Not long ago, I applied for a university program that required me to hand in a portfolio of my work. Short videos I had made, essays and articles I had written, and a series of five photographs. Up until then I had only taken photos during family vacations and special events, so I was really stuck on what I should do. Should I go outside and start taking pictures of the grass or the flowers or the trees? Should I call up all my friends and ask to take funky pictures of them in black and white at different angles? I really had no idea on what to do. Later on I was looking through a cookbook for something to make for a school bake sale, and I became really frustrated with the lack of pictures. Sure, each dish had a picture...of the final product. But as a person who didn't have much experience in the baking/cooking department, it would have been a lot more helpful to have pictures that show making the dish from start to finish. That's when I came up with the idea to take five photos that show how to make crepes from start to finish. Why crepes? Because they're incredible easy, don't have too many ingredients, and back then, making crepes was one of the only things I knew how to make. 
This photoshoot took about three hours. I know it sounds like a lot, but with setting up each picture, changing the lighting for each new display, and then taking close to thirty pictures of each scene, I'm surprised we finished so fast. Looking back now there are a few changes I would make, but overall I consider this photoshoot to be one of my better ones. Now when I take pictures of what I eat, it takes less than five minutes to set things up, snap a few pictures, and then put everything away.
And the program...I GOT IN! : D
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment