Saturday, September 10, 2011

Icing Cupcakes with Grandma

So after baking the chocolate cake for my ultimate team, and then icing it with chocolate icing, I kind of got the baking bug and have been baking lots of cupcakes. The only problem is, I don't have a lot of experience making icing designs. When I told my mom about it, she let me know that my grandmother had an icing kit and used to decorate cakes as a hobby. So in went another batch of cupcakes and off to my grandmother's I went.
First we whipped up some plain vanilla icing.
The first thing she showed me was a design called French lace. The key to French lace is to make a bunch of squiggles that don't touch each other. Normally you put put a thin layer of chocolate icing on the cupcake first, and then put the french lace on top, but we didn't make chocolate icing.
Then she showed me a bunch of other things I don't know the names of. 
When we were done we decided it was time to eat these cupcakes, so naturally we started piling on the icing. 
Classic ice-cream cone style.
I'm not too sure what to call this... anyways, I took home the icing kit my grandmother has and have been practicing different designs. I'm so close to making the perfect rose! 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment