Monday, October 24, 2011

My Mini Kimchi Pancakes

So over the weekend I decided to use up the last of my kimchi by making some kimchi pancakes. Here is the original recipe from Maangchi. The recipe is very simple and uses a lot of common ingredients.
Mini Kimchi Pancakes
-1 cup of chopped kimchi
-3 tbs of kimchi juice
-1/2 tsp of salt (although kimchi is salty enough so you don't need it)
-1/2 tsp of sugar
-1/2 cup of all purpose flour (rice flour works really well if you want to make it gluten free)
-1/4 cup of water
-Lots of vegetable oil
-2 tbs of chopped onion (I didn't have any, so I left it out)
 
So first measure out one cup of kimchi and chop it up.
Then add your other ingredients into a bowl and mix them together.
Heat a large frying pan up to medium heat and add a generous amount of oil.
While Maangchi added the whole mixture onto the pan together to make one big pancake, I decided to make mini pancakes. Why? Because I'm too afraid to flip a huge pancake in my frying pan. Maangchi does it in her video very well, but I don't think I'm quite at that level yet.
So flip them over with a spatula and cook them until they are golden on both sides. Then enjoy!
Maangchi's website has a lot of great recipes and is the place to go when you want to know how to make a Korean dish. She includes videos for all of her recipes and even has an iTunes podcast that you can subscribe to.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. those look delicious! must try them out the next time my family makes kimchi

    xx maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm moving to South Korea in a week and this post just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely delicious :) where can I buy Kimchi in Winnipeg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I buy it from Costco where they keep it in the meat and cheese section at the back of the store, but I used to buy it from a Korean market located just off pembina highway across from the Canad Inns and Dinner Theatre. Here's a post I did about the market. http://vimwac.blogspot.ca/2012/02/exploring-88mart-in-little-seoul.html
      I hope this helps!

      Delete