Friday, October 14, 2011

Pumpkin Muffin Tops

So last week I decided to make a pumpkin loaf for thanksgiving dinner with the family. The only problem was that the recipe only needed half the can of pumpkin pie filling. So because I hate to waste anything, yesterday I looked for a way to use the rest of the pumpkin and decided to bake some pumpkin cookies!...which actually turned out to be more like muffin tops than anything else. Truthfully,  these "cookies" taste so much like muffin tops, it's almost scary. They're fairly easy to make (certainly easier than the loaf was, which wasn't all that hard), so give this recipe a try.
Pumpkin Muffin Tops (click here for the original recipe).

  • 2 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of pumpkin pie filling
  • Some plain vanilla icing to drizzle on top (optional)

First, put all of your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) into a bowl and whisk together.
Then take your brown sugar and two eggs and put them into a different bowl. Use a hand mixer to mix together well until the mixture turns liquidy and becomes a light caramel colour. It should look like the picture below.
Then add the pumpkin, oil, and vanilla, and mix again. 
Now take your bowl of dry ingredients and add it to the wet mixture and mix it together until it looks like the picture below.
Now spoon the mixture onto a wax paper lined baking sheet. Bake for ten minutes at 350 degrees F.
Here's how they looked after baking. They even look like muffin tops! I decided that these were too big for me and that I could bake more if I made the spoonfuls smaller, so that's what I did.
These ones I only had to bake for 6-7 minutes.
Mini muffin tops!
Now take some vanilla icing (I used the Betty Crocker kind, shh, don't tell anyone) and create some icing designs for your muffin tops.
These were really good. The recipe makes a bunch, so I think the next time I make this recipe I'll only make a half batch. The icing isn't a mandatory thing, but it does make them look a lot prettier and adds a little bit of extra sweetness.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to do some cookies today, but I miss the pumkin pie filling. God damm it!
    I like your blog a lot, following you.
    Return love back?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I'm not sure any of the supermarkets near me stock pumpkin in a can, I'm going to have a good look for it as the pumpkin loaf and these look great! If not, I think I will order a few tins online and get them delivered!! :)

    ReplyDelete