Sunday, October 9, 2011

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Loaf

So here in Canada we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving this coming Monday, which means my family will be getting together tomorrow to have Thanksgiving dinner. I decided that I would bake a loaf to bring and share with the family, and since it's for Thanksgiving, I made it a pumpkin loaf. 
The loaf turned out really well for my first quick bread! It was cooked all the way through, but still moist, and the top tasted similar to a muffin top. Just in case you were wondering, quick breads like banana bread, carrot bread, and pumpkin loaf are breads that use baking soda and baking powder to rise rather than yeast which is something that is used in the everyday white or whole wheat bread. 
Pumpkin Loaf

  • 4 ounces of softened cream cheese (or half a package of a block)
  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of canned spiced pumpkin pie filling
  • 1 and 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour (or all purpose if that's what you have)
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1/2 cup of chopped pecan or walnuts (I used walnuts because my grandmother is allergic to pecans)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Put the softened cream cheese, butter, and sugar into a bowl and use a hand mixer to mix it well. Then add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between.
Measure out your flour and add it to a separate bowl. Then add the baking soda, baking powder, and the salt and whisk them all together.
Now add the pumpkin to your wet mixture and mix together.
Now pour the dry ingredients into the wet and gently fold together.
Next, chop your nuts until they are small and similar to the size of pebbles.
Then add them to your mixture.
Finally, put your batter into a greased bread pan (glass or metal) and bake at 350 degrees F for an hour. After an hour, stick a toothpick into the centre of the loaf to see if it comes out clean. If it comes out with batter on it, stick the loaf back into the oven for another ten minutes, and test again with another toothpick. It only took me an hour to bake my loaf.
Now you get to enjoy and ogle your beautiful pumpkin loaf. This loaf isn't overly sweet, but I would still consider it a dessert, it tasted that good. I feel as though this loaf was a more traditional pumpkin loaf and that next time I'll probably add some raisins and maybe some chocolate chips. If you decide to make this loaf it will last about five days, just be sure to keep it in the fridge because it doesn't contain any unnatural preservatives and should therefore be kept at a cooler temperature.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! My aunt brought a pumpkin loaf over the other day, but it didn't look as good as your's

    xx maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness i'm going to go make this right now :O thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Thanks for looking at my blog! Shame is right, I was looking forward to making those pumpkin shortbread cookies for about a week! I could probably still use them for skipping stones or something...Glass half full an all. But I do know that I'll be trying your pumpkin loaf asap, looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete