Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Treats, Day 7: Soft Gingersnaps

These are my favourite cookies. Truly, my favourite. They take a little bit of extra effort to make (hence the large amount of photos), but they are well worth it.
Gingersnaps are a wonderful cookie. They're very easy to make and are super addictive. They're kind of spicy and are covered in a layer of sugar before they are baked, so there's no shortage of sweetness in these cookies. The question of whether you end up with soft gingersnaps vs. hard gingersnaps all depends on how long you cook them. Really, the more you cook them, the harder they get, so it's all up to you. When you bake the cookies, as soon as you see the tops of the cookies are dry, they're cooked. The longer they stay in the oven, the harder they get. To make my gingersnaps soft I only cook them for five minutes. The recipe, however, calls for 12-15 minutes.

Soft Gingersnaps [source]
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1+1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Instructions
Put the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar into a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer. Then add the egg, vanilla, and molasses, and beat those into the mixture. In a separate bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients (besides the sugars). Then add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat together. COver the dough with saran wrap and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Now that your dough is chilled, bring it out of the fridge. Pour about 1/2 cup of white sugar into a bowl. Form small balls of dough and coat with the sugar. Put the balls onto lightly greased cookie trays and spread widely apart. 
My only perfect dough ball...
Then use a measuring cup or any other cup to flatten down the cookies, otherwise the cookies will not cook properly (trust me, you need to press down the cookies!)
Then bake for how ever long you want at 350 degrees. For soft cookies like mine, bake for 5-7 minutes.
Look to make sure the tops are dry.
The recipe makes 48 cookies. Just don't tell your family that otherwise they'll wonder where 10 of the cookies went. 
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I love gingersnaps! and I love soft cookies! so I would absolutely love this!! :D plus they're so big ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!! I love gingersnaps, whenever my friend has them (her mom makes amazing gingersnaps) I automatically take one haha.
    xx maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love gingersnaps. Always have. My mother though, bless her soul, used to bake them until they were hockey puck hard. A dunk in hot coffee was a requirement. I have since acquired a recipe from a friend that produced soft and chewy gingersnaps which I've used for years. However, I'm always looking for the "best" of any given recipe so I definitely will be giving these a try. Thanks so much. Love your photos.

      Delete