Thursday, December 8, 2011

Carrot Apple Soup (Vegan), my First Puree!

I've always wanted to make a pureed soup. Always. The first time I had a pureed soup was years ago at Prairie Lights. It was so smooth and creamy and flavourful, by the time I reached the end of the bowl, I was addicted.
I found this recipe for Carrot Apple Ginger Soup at Oh She Glows, and amazing website with a ton of vegan recipes. If you have ever wanted to try being a vegan and have no idea what to make, you have to check out her recipe page. It's astounding!

Carrot Apple Soup (adapted from Oh She Glows)
-1 tbs of vegetable oil
-1 small white onion
-2 cloves of garlic
-2 tbs of fresh ginger
-1 large apple
-6-7 large carrots
-4 cups of vegetable broth (one 900ml box)
-1 tsp of nutmeg
-Salt and pepper

Finely chop up the onion, garlic, and ginger, and fry it in a heavy bottomed pot with the vegetable oil for 5 minutes.
Then add your chopped carrots and apple and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Then add all of your vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and cover the pot with a lid to let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
Once the soup is done cooking, either use an immersion blender or a standing blender to puree the soup. If you are using a standing blender, remember to only blend small batches at a time and open the top to let steam out, or let your mixture cool before blending it. Please note that this is very important (I tried to blend my soup with too much at a time and the result was Carrot Apple Soup splattered all over the walls and myself). At this point you can add the nutmeg and salt and pepper.
And here is the result. Bright and beautiful pureed soup bursting with flavour. I think this is a great soup to eat during the colder months when you may be feeling a little low on fresh fruits and vegetables. It's warm and surprisingly filling (I could only eat half of this bowl), and is full of nutrients.

Pin It

1 comment: