Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Asia City on Pembina Highway

During my vacation I had the opportunity to try out one of the new restaurants here in Winnipeg. For the longest time this place was a Perkins, then a few years ago it became a Salisbury House, now it has changed again to an "Asia City". I've really wanted to try out this new restaurant as soon as I saw the signs in the window saying that they had Pho and Pad Thai. Wow, Vietnamese and Thai in the same place? So cool! Well, I guess if your name is Asia City you'd probably have food from all over Asia...
Along with having a popular lunch special and a very large menu, this restaurant has a very unique feature. At the back corner of the restaurant is a counter where you can order different meals and sides similar to any chinese food place in a mall's food court. So if you're in the mood for sweet and sour chicken balls, fried rice, noodles, etc. but aren't in the mood to go to the crowded mall and want a more quiet and formal place to eat your food, this is the perfect place to do just that.
All the people that I have spoken to who have been to this restaurant really like the lunch special that is offered Monday-Friday from 11am-2pm. I was really excited to see that Pho and Pad Thai were both options for the lunch special until I looked at the bottom of the sign and saw that they wouldn't allow for substitutions and all the lunch specials had meat in them.
Actually, I was really sad to find that there weren't many vegetarian options for me. The restaurant has a huge menu (it's really huge) but almost every dish has meat in it, and all of their vegetable dishes have seafood in them. In the end I ordered two of their appetizers. 
Vegetable rolls with lettuce, bean sprouts, fried tofu, carrots, and vermicelli noodles. It came with a sauce that was sweet and had little pieces of peanuts in it.
Then my mom order the BBQ pork, spring roll and noodles bowl that came with a shrimp spring roll, peanuts, a veggie salad, BBQ pork, and vermicelli noodles on the bottom. Apparently the meat was A.May.Zing. : )
Then my veggie spring rolls came out with a small bowl of orange liquid that tasted exactly like sweet and sour sauce but wasn't red.
For dessert we ordered their red bean buns. I love red bean buns and have only seen them in a dim sum restaurant in China Town, so when I saw them at the back of the incredibly huge menu at Asia City, I decided to order them. I didn't enjoy these as much because they had very little red bean filling and had way more bun. That's too bad, but it was still nice to see them on the menu.
In the end I was very sad that they didn't have many dishes that vegetarians could eat. I think that if you eat meat, this would be a really nice place to eat because the interior of the restaurant is very nice and both the lunch special and food court style serving in the back seem to be really popular.
Asia City is located on the west side of Pembina Highway just before the bridge that passes over Bishop Grandin.

View Larger Map
Asia City of Winnipeg on Urbanspoon
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Despite the lack of vegetarian dishes, the food you got looks super yummy. I've never tried red bean buns but I've always been curious about them... I even saw a recipe for some in one of the vegetarian books I recently bought. Maybe its time to try them out. If you ever visit portland there is a wonderful organic chinese restaurant downtown (G and I discovered it Xmas Eve) and half of their HUGE menu is vegetarian... its my new fave place to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great journey. Maybe you can't get your veggie dishes, but for sure u enjoyed your relax time. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can ask for a lot of the dishes to be vegetarian, especially the Vietnamese fusion dishes! They just don't add the meat on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know D. Grey!

      Delete