Monday, January 23, 2012

How to make Home Made Hazelnut Seashells

Ever since I was a little kid I've had a weakness for those hazelnut chocolate seashells. Seriously, when Christmas came around, the box of seashells Santa left for me didn't even last the whole day.
But now I don't have to wait for Christmas to come along in order to enjoy hazelnut seashells. Now I can make them at home. 
Making seashells is super easy when you have the proper candy mold. I bought mine at Bulk Barn (along with the white chocolate chips and coconut oil), but if you don't have a bulk food store that sells candy molds near you, you could probably order them online.
So I simply melted my two kinds of chocolate without measuring any of my ingredients because this was my first time doing it. In the end had enough chocolate for two tray fulls of seashells.
After you have finished melting your chocolate add in 1 tsp or 2 tsp of coconut oil (not mandatory, it's just my personal preference).
Then use a paint brush to paint a white chocolate layer into the mold. Then pop the tray into the freezer for a few minutes. When you take it out, paint a layer of milk or dark chocolate on top of the white chocolate, then put the tray into the freezer again.
Put some Nutella into a plastic bag and cut off the corner so that you can easily pipe the filling into the chocolates.
At first the nutella will be uneven, but if you give the tray a few whacks, everything will flatten out.
Then add some of your milk or dark chocolate on top for the base, whack the tray to let everything even out, and then put the tray into the freezer. In about 20 minutes the chocolates will be solid enough for you to serve.
At first I was really nervous about how these would look and whether or not the white would still be visible after I added the dark chocolate, but I think in the end they turned out perfect.
Mmm, so delicious. Of course they weren't as good as the professional store bought chocolates, but they tasted really good and helped me to use some of the Nutella I got for Christmas.
Who knows? Perhaps next I shall make Nutella brownies?
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. They look fabulous. I don't have candy molds, but will search them outon the basis of this post. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope youhave a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, these look so cool! They also look fun to make.

    ReplyDelete