Monday, February 27, 2012

Delicious Whole Wheat Blueberry Orange Loaf

So reading week is over and now it's time to start getting up early in the morning again. To help me get through it, last night I decided to bake myself a loaf of quick bread to eat for breakfast. Because it isn't fall anymore, I decided not to make a pumpkin loaf, and because I've eaten enough sweet things in the past few days, I couldn't make a chocolate orange loaf, so in the end I decided to make a Whole Wheat Blueberry Orange Loaf. The original recipe I found at allrecipes.com and then I just made a few alterations to make it a little healthier.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Orange Loaf [source]
-2 cups whole wheat flour
-1 cup white sugar
-1tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 egg
-1/2 cup orange juice
-1/3 cup water
-2 tbsp vegetable oil
-2 tbsp grated orange peel
-3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)

This loaf is very easy to make. Just put all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, powder, soda, salt) into a bowl and whisk them together. Then put all of your wet ingredients (egg, juice, water, oil, orange peel) into a separate bowl and use a hand mixer to combine them. Then pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and use the hand mixer to combine them well. Then cover the blueberries in some whole wheat flower and then fold them into the batter. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake it for an hour to 70 minutes at 350 degrees. Remember to stick a toothpick into the centre of the loaf to see if it is done. Then let it cool for ten minutes before taking it out of the pan.
One you have your dry mixture and wet mixture ready, combine the two using the hand mixer.
I'm not too sure if this is true, but I've heard that if you cover the blueberries in flour, it will help to keep them from sinking to the bottom while the loaf is baking.
At first I was really worried that the loaf would come out blue based on how the batter looked before I put the pan into the oven, but in the end I think it turned out perfect.
The first slice while it was still warm. Usually the loaves are still a little crumbly when they're fresh out of the oven.
This morning's breakfast. So delicious. The orange is a little hard to taste at first, but it's definitely there, and the blueberries ended up dispersed evenly throughout the loaf rather than all falling to the bottom.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, good morning everyone and enjoy a slice of delicious loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, thanks for sharing! Stopping over from BSN :)

    Jessica
    http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely bread you have made. This must be absolutely divine! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so tasty! Sadly we don't have ovens in dorms so I will have to bookmark this and wait until I go home to try it!

    (found you via 20sb!)

    Yishi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious! I love blueberries! mmmm! :)

    ReplyDelete