Saturday, February 4, 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate Bottomed Coconut Macaroons

Hi there! So today, as promised, I'm sharing with you the recipe I tried out a few days ago. Chocolate Bottomed Coconut Macaroons! My recent obsession with coconut macaroons comes from this amazing macaroon I bought from The Crusty Bun. While the last recipe for coconut macaroons I tried resulted in macaroons that were too soft and cakey, these ones were mush closer to tasting like what I was looking for. Plus, they don't use any flour, so the recipe is completely gluten free!

Chocolate Bottomed Coconut Macaroons (Gluten Free) [source]
-2 large eggs
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/8 tsp salt
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-3 cups sweetened shredded coconut

So this recipe is ten times easier than the last one I tried. No separating the eggs, no chilling the batter, no using a double boiler to stabilize the egg whites. For this recipe you basically just toss all the ingredients together into a bowl. First you put the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them well. Then add in the sugar, salt, and vanilla, and then whisk them together well. Then you stir in all of your coconut. That's it!
Now to bake the macaroons, scoop out 1 tablespoon worth of batter for each macaroon and put them onto a lined cookie sheet. Be sure to leave some space between each cookie because the bottoms will spread a little. Then bake them in your oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the tops become brown. Then take them out and let them cool for a few minutes on a cooling rack.
Here is what the process should look like...
Now here comes the fun part. To make my macaroons chocolate bottomed macaroons, I melted 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and added 2tsp of coconut oil. Then I dipped the bottoms of the macaroons into the chocolate and placed them onto some wax paper. You may find this process easier if you put the macaroons into the fridge before hand because it will help the chocolate to cool and harden faster.
I ended up having just a little bit of chocolate left, so I put it into a plastic baggie, cut a little hole into the corner, and then drizzled some chocolate on top. Put the macaroons into the fridge to harden the chocolate.
These macaroons had a much harder exterior and the inside was a lot more flaky than the more cakey recipe I had made before. Although it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I really enjoyed these macaroons, and I was actually sad when I had to give away most of these macaroons to my family members who can't eat flour.
All around, I know I'll be making these again because they are just too easy!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I might try these, but maybe use the other recipe you posted, then dip them in chocolate! Gah now I'm hungry..not so good coz it's 10pm and a have to sleep now! Lol

    ReplyDelete