Monday, February 13, 2012

Mini Chocolate Heart Cake

Well folks, tomorrow is Valentines Day. A day of romance, flowers, chocolate, and fluffy things. A day for couples. That's right, single people like me are never invited to Valentines Day, unless we invite ourselves, which is just sad.  But none the less, I decided to make an individual heart shaped cake for myself to eat for dessert tomorrow, alone. Here's how I made it.
I baked a square cake and then cut out hearts using a heart shaped cookie cutter. Then I put the hearts into the freezer. This is because I find that cakes are easier to ice and have less crumbs when they are frozen.
Then I cut one of the hearts in half and put chocolate icing on top of one of the halves. See how few crumbs there are when the cake is frozen? Then I put the two pieces together, iced the whole thing, and then drizzled some melted chocolate chips on top.
And here's the final product! It lost a bit of it's heart shape during the icing process, but it's still there. : ) I can't wait to eat it. While my heart cakes were freezing in the freezer, I baked up some medium sized cupcakes and iced them as well.
Isn't this rose so pretty? I love making icing roses on cupcakes now that I know how to. I know I promised a video tutorial on how to make these ages ago, but the time just hasn't been there. But don't worry, I know I'll put one up someday.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this!
    Chocolate (and movie marathons) got me through many lonely Valentine's Days before I met my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is sooo nice!! Well done. Happy V. day!

    ReplyDelete