Saturday, February 25, 2012

Surrounded by Cakes at Baked Expectations

I know I haven't been posting a lot of recipes, even though it's reading week and you'd think I have time to try some new ones out, but it seems like all of my time has been spent going out to eat with all the friends I haven't seen since Christmas. Oh well. I promise one will be coming soon.
So the other day I went to Baked Expectations, a restaurant in Osbourne Village that is known for its vast array of cakes. It's very popular amongst people of all ages and is a place I consider to be one of the must sees for people who come to Winnipeg. Not only does it have amazing cakes, Baked Expectations has a large menu with sandwiches and burgers, soups and salads, and even main dishes. And boy, is their food good. I don't know for sure, but I think their caesar dressing is home made and I know that they make their french fries from scratch. That's why almost every time I go there, someone at the table has to order french fries.
But enough about that, let's talk about the cakes! Ohh, the cakes! How I wish I could have a bit of each one whenever I go there. That's really the only bad thing about Baked Expectations. Choosing what slice of cake you want to order.
I did my best to take photos of the menu that would be easy for everyone to read. For vegetarians there are a lot of options, so you don't need to worry about not being able to order anything but cake. Although I don't think that would be such a bad thing. : )
The caesar salad served with garlic bread.
The triple decker grilled cheese sandwich. This was my first time ordering it and I am so glad that I did. At first I thought that it would just be a lot of cheese and three pieces of bread, which would have been more than fine, but it ended up having so much more than that like tomato, spinach, onions, and mushrooms. The sandwich was also served with french fries and a pickle on the side.
Mmmm, delicious fries. 
This photo was taken this summer on Canada Day. Currently the cheesecake display is being repaired, so all of the cheesecakes are being stored in the back, just in case you go there and begin to worry that they're all out of cheesecake.
I don't know the name of this cake because it was something special they offered for Valentines day and isn't on the menu.
The Deadly Chocolate Mousse.
The Banana Cake, Crazy Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Orange Mousse Cake, and another cake I don't know.
Apple Pie.
The Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake, Carrot Cake, Mocha Torte (My favourite!) and another cake I don't know.
The Pavlova.
Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Banana Pie.
So in the end we decided to order two different cakes. The Chocolate Orange Mousse Cake and the Mocha Torte. Both were so good. The mousse in the chocolate cake was so delicious and creamy and the multiple layers of cake in the Mocha Torte were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, with layers of whip cream slathered in between. It's always amazing going to Baked Expectations whether it's for any type of meal. And if you're in a hurry and need some cake to satisfy your sweet tooth, they'll box up an individual slice for you to take home.
Baked Expectations on Urbanspoon
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I'm so jealous you got that, even though I ate so much today!

    xx maggie
    saltandleather

    ReplyDelete
  2. The display of the food is mouthwatering. Wow I wish I had been there too! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even better desserts and foods ! I recently had a piece of carrot cake for
    my birthday celebration at Barney Gargles in Selkirk. WOW ! it was unsurpassed, sorry Baked Expectations ! the desserts at Barney Gargles excel ! their cheesecakes are unsurpassed ! The food rocks ! nothing like it, wish there was a Barney Gargles in The Peg, but it's privately owned, same owners for 20 years ! The moment I finished my piece of carrot cake, I was already thinking of when I'd be back for another one ! I'm glad I don't live too close to this place ahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete