Monday, March 12, 2012

A Cure for Colds, Carrot Apple Soup

So I got a bit of a cold over the weekend. Nothing serious enough to keep me in bed all day, but enough to wear me down. Luckily, I know the recipe for a carrot apple soup that has onions, garlic, and ginger, along with a bunch of healthy vitamins from the carrots and apples.
When I made the soup for myself this time, I decided to triple the amount of garlic and ginger to really open things up in my head and to help me feel better faster, and I'm happy to say that I think it worked, because it looks as though I'll be able to go to school tomorrow just fine. Yay?

A Cure for Colds, Carrot Apple Soup (the regular recipe can be found here).
-1 tbs of vegetable oil
-1 small white onion
-6 cloves of garlic
-6 tbs of fresh ginger
-1 large apple
-6-7 large carrots
-4 cups of vegetable broth (one 900ml box)
-1 tsp of nutmeg
-Salt and pepper


Finely chop up the onion, garlic, and ginger, and fry it in a heavy bottomed pot with the vegetable oil for 5 minutes. Then add your chopped carrots and apple and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add all of your vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and cover the pot with a lid to let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
Once the soup is done cooking, either use an immersion blender or a standing blender to puree the soup. If you are using a standing blender, remember to only blend small batches at a time and open the top to let steam out, or let your mixture cool before blending it. At this point you can add the nutmeg and salt and pepper.
So creamy, but, you know, without any actual cream. : )
So why did I put my soup into jars? To take to school and warm up in the microwave. I'm not too sure if it will work (I am so scared of something exploding), but I saw another girl microwave some chicken noodle soup in a glass jar before spring break, so I think it will be all right. Wish me luck!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, just take off the lid when you reheat it, and cover with a paper towel... Funny, I made carrot-apple-ginger juice today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I feel a lot better now that you've told me that. : )

      Delete
  2. Delicious this recipe. I should try it soon! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, hope you feel lots better! :) Sounds like the soup did the trick! Looks tasty too.

    ReplyDelete