Saturday, March 31, 2012

Eating out at Sushi Hiroba

Not long ago somebody had read on my blog about how much I love Korean food, especially bi-bim-bap, and suggested I try going to Sushi Hiroba to try theirs. Although the restaurant has the word "sushi" in their name, their menu covers both Korean and Japanese cuisine, offering sushi, Korean BBQ, and even bi-bim-bap.
I didn't think this would happen, but I think I may have found my new favourite place to eat bi-bim-bap. Ever since I had my first bowl of bi-bim-bap at Momo a little over a year ago, I have been unable to find another place that serves one that tastes as good. This one had more vegetables, less rice at the bottom, and even the red sauce (gochujang) was thicker and tasted better. The only problem is that this restaurant only serves it in a plain bowl while Momo serves their bi-bim-bap in a piping hot stone bowl (making it "dol-sot" bi-bim-bap), so the bi-bim-bap at Sushi Hiroba does lack that extra heat and crispy rice at the bottom of the bowl you'd often find with the bi-bim-bap at Momo. So I guess they both have good things going for them. : )
The whole concept of Korean BBQ has always fascinated me, but now that I don't eat meat, it doesn't matter! Ha ha ha!
But oh look! Bi-bim-bap! Unfortunately Sushi Hiroba doesn't have a tofu version on their menu, but if you don't eat meat, you can just ask them to leave the beef off.
And part of the Japanese section of the menu.
So when my mom and I first sat down, we were wondering what these little mints were doing on the table, but then we saw that they had the word "tissue" stamped on them and thought it would be best if we didn't eat them. After we ordered our food the waiter brought a small container of water and poured it into the bowl, and like magic the things stood up.
We didn't order miso soup, but they gave it to us for free. I have a feeling everyone get's miso soup as part of their meal because everyone else in the tables around us also got miso soup.
So they brought out my dish with two containers, one with the red sauce and once with sesame oil. Definitely necessary!
My mom ordered the bul-go-gi (sweet marinated beef) hot pot, which came with a bowl of rice and a little salad.
My mom said that every bite of this was amazing, and such a great deal at only $9.99.
And now my after photo. I swear I didn't lick the bowl! It just looks like I did. : )
So here are the hours for the restaurant. The place is actually quite small and only holds probably 15 tables, but they also do take out. I really enjoyed my meal here yesterday and I can't wait to go back again and eat off of their Japanese menu!

View Larger Map
Hiroba on Urbanspoon
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Wow, looks really good. Now I'm hungry :) Looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely place you went to. The food looks very interesting. Great post X

    ReplyDelete
  3. it all looks awesome but I love the tissue "pills" LOL

    ReplyDelete