Saturday, March 10, 2012

Red River College's Prairie Lights, Part Deux

Last evening I had the privilege of going to Red River College's Prairie Lights Restaurant to eat some amazing dishes of food with my mother and a friend. You may remember that I wrote about eating here  back in November. The restaurant is part of the student's training and is a way for them to experience the various jobs in the restaurant industry. The college's Culinary Arts program is one that I have always been of fan of and would have applied for had I not made the decision to pursue the field of Communications. Perhaps that is why I try to go there as often as possible?
The program involves students learning everything there is to know about food. From place settings and waiting on tables, to making various dishes from around the world, these lucky folks will know it all by the time they graduate. My older cousin has applied to the program and I'm really hoping that when she starts, she'll sneak me in to some of her classes. : )
If you are interested in learning more about the program or would like to make a reservation, please visit their website. There, you can view their ever changing menus and a calendar showing when they are open to the public, as well as any new announcements they may have.
Before you continue to look at the photos, I apologize for the low lighting and poor focus. I still have a lot to learn in the ways of photography.
The bread basket and butter plate. The pink one was a sweet beet butter, the white one a regular butter with salt crystals, and the orange one a roasted pepper hummus butter.
This was a special hors d'oeuvre the chef was offering called an amuse-bouche, so the name was not on the menu. I do know that it had tuna and compressed watermelon.
An appetizer. Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Cheese, Hummus and Tapenade Coronets.
A soup. Yukon Gold Potato and Leek Puree with Seared Scallops and Crispy Lardons.
Getting ready to flambé my mother's Prosciutto, Peach and Thyme-Stuffed Pork Chop flambéed with Calvados.
The Seared Flat Iron Steak with Crisp Calamari served on Wilted Spinach with Basil Aioli.
My Crispy Fried Tofu with Steamed Ginger Greens.
And just for fun we had to order a dessert that would be flambéed.
The Crepes Suzette Flambé.
The dessert special, Chocolate Truffle Raviolo with Caramel Semifreddo (my favourite dish of the whole evening).
The Molten Chocolate Cake with Fresh Berries and Cardamom Creme Fraiche.

Well that was it. The food was delicious, the servers were great, and I can't wait for the next time I can eat at Prairie Lights Restaurant again.
Prairie Lights Restaurant - Closed for the summer on Urbanspoon
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good restaurant indeed. Love the display and all looks terribly romantic. Great for a dinner with your other half. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy, that meal looks incredible! I must check out Prairie Lights ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete