Thursday, March 15, 2012

Whole Wheat Coconut-Oatmeal Cookies

Good news everyone! I've been taking soup to university to eat for lunch in old glass jam jars, and so far nothing has exploded!
Some more good news is, and hour ago I baked up this batch of coconut oatmeal cookies as a late night snack. And boy did I need it because tonight I finished writing an 8 page paper for tomorrow's Shakespeare class AND went to a four hour class to re-certify my First Aid and CPR. Whew!
But back to the cookies. This recipe requires very little effort and doesn't need a hand mixer at all. Just toss everything into a bowl, stir, bake, and enjoy. Okay, there are a few more instructions, but that's basically all it takes to make these coconut-oatmeal cookies.

Whole Wheat Coconut-Oatmeal Cookies (original recipe)
-1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-1 egg
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp salt
-3/4 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-2 cups quick oats
-1/2 of sweetened shredded coconut

Melt the butter in a large bowl, and then stir in the brown sugar, egg, salt, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon, and then stir it into the wet mixture. Then add the oats and coconut and stir in until evenly coated. The dough may be a little crumbly, but that's okay. Scoop out tablespoon sized balls of dough and place them onto a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet, and then pat them down well. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool on a cooling rack. Makes 24 cookies.
The ingredients.
 
This was the first sheet of cookies I made and I didn't know that you had to press the cookies down a lot more. They ended up coming out the oven looking exactly the same as they did going in. They still tasted great though.
The second sheet. Much better.
The bottoms should be a nice golden brown.
Mmm, just look at that fluffy coconut inside, and I have to admit, these cookies taste a lot better then they look, and they already look pretty good. They're not very sweet, and actually have a more buttery-salty flavour that you might find with a muffin, Very satisfying. I can definitely see myself making this recipe in the future and adding different things like raisins or chocolate chips.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I don't normally like coconut but these look good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look and sound delicious! I think I'll try substituting some spent grains from my husbands beer brewing operations for the oats and give these a shot!

    ReplyDelete