Friday, April 13, 2012

Apple, Strawberry, and Orange Appetizer

It's Friday, and normally I'd be really excited about that, but sadly I have an exam tomorrow...at 9:00am. Oh well, at least it doesn't ruin my whole Saturday, just the most important part, waking up. Anyways, I'm so happy to be taking a break from studying so that I can share this appetizer idea I had the other day. As much as I love gooey cheese wrapped in buttery pastry, I prefer to have appetizers that are light and fresh, with lots of colour and flavour. Appetizers that won't fill you up and ruin the main meal or possibly threaten your ability to have a piece of pie at the end of the night.
So after making raspberry and cream cheese cucumbers for the last family dinner, I thought it might be interesting to come up with a bright and colourful appetizer with some of the fresh fruit that's back in season.

Apple, Strawberry, and Orange Appetizer (I'm sorry I couldn't think of a better name)
-2 apples
-1 orange
-5 strawberries
-Vanilla yogurt
-Cinnamon or nutmeg to garnish
*1 large apple can give 4-5 circles if cut thinly, so this recipe makes 10 appetizers.

Peel the apples, and then cut them into thin slices. Then lay out a slice of apple on the cutting board and use a small circular cookie cutter to cut a hole out of it. Next, supreme your orange (click here for instructions). Wash and dry the strawberries and cut them in half. Then lay one slice of the supremed orange onto the apple circle and place half a strawberry next to it. Put your vanilla yogurt into a plastic bag and cut off the end so that you can pipe the yogurt in between the orange and strawberry. Then garnish with some cinnamon or nutmeg and serve.
I was worried that the apple would be too hard to cut through with a cookie cutter, but it was actually ver easy.
When I was done making them, I took a plate of the appetizers outside to take some pictures in the natural light. I've been loving this weather so much.
And that's it! I hope you like my idea for a simple appetizer. It's gluten free and can be made into a bunch of different variations. If you're vegan, instead of yogurt you can use a raspberry, or perhaps some parsley, and if you don't like oranges or strawberries, replace them with other fruits like melon or kiwi. Once you have the apple circle as the base, you can top it with anything you like! : )
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. Almost to pretty to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cool, such a different way to present a fruit appetizer love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look great, and so pretty! Hey, would you like to be featured on my blog next month as up-and-coming blog of the month? Here are some past bloggers: http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/search/label/blog%20of%20the%20month (got busy the last 2 months, and trying to get back on track!). I love your blog and everything you post is always awesome! Just write me a comment or reply here!

    ReplyDelete