Monday, April 2, 2012

Easter Egg Sugar Cookies

Today I decided to bake some Easter egg cookies for one of classes tomorrow since it's the last day before exams start. Anyways, I think I just discovered the coolest way to decorate sugar cookies for Easter!
The recipe I used for the sugar cookies was the same as the first time I tried making sugar cookies, because I found the recipe to be really simple and easy.

Sugar Cookies
-3 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 cup softened butter
-1 cup white sugar
-2 eggs
-2 tsp vanilla



First, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Then in a separate bowl, mix the butter and sugar together using a hand mixer for about 3 minutes. Then add the eggs and vanilla to your butter and sugar and beat those in as well. Then add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and beat until well incorporated. Wrap the dough in some saran wrap and put it in the fridge for an hour.
Once the dough has firmed up in the fridge, lightly dust your counter-top with flour as well as your rolling pin, and begin to roll out your dough until it is 1/4 inch thin. Then use cookie cutters to cut out various shapes of dough. Place the unbaked cookies onto a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

I made the same kind of icing as last time as well. Use a hand mixer to beat together the following ingredients.

Icing
-1/2 cup softened butter 
-1/2 cup icing sugar 
-1 tsp milk
-1 tsp vanilla
It's funny, but I think the funnest part about making sugar cookies is rolling out the dough and cutting out the different shapes.
When you begin to ice your cookies after they have cooled off, take some of your icing and put it into a piping bag. Then pipe a small line all around the edge of each cookie. Then take your remaining icing and add milk to it spoonful by spoon full until it becomes liquidy. Then pour some of this icing onto each cookie and push it to the very edges. This process creates a smooth layer of icing.
Now here is the cool part. Instead of waiting for the icing to dry so you can make pretty designs on your cookies, colour some of the left over icing and use toothpicks to make colourful dots all over your cookies.
Looking back, I feel like I needed to add more colouring in order to make the dots more vibrant and easy to see, but I think they still came out looking very cute. Oh gosh, now I can't wait for this Friday to come!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. These look good, and I actually like the pale shade of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, these are so pretty! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great and my kids would love to make them. I might have to try them if I don't get to busy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these cookies are so cute, I love the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete