Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My First Guacamole Ever

I know what you must be thinking. It can't be true that I've never had guacamole until now, and if it is true, that is just plain sad.
Sadly, it's true. Why? Well, my mom really dislikes avocados and thus we've never had anything like guacamole enter our house. It was a struggle to bring in avocados so that I could make home made vegetable sushi, and near impossible to make a dish based entirely around the green fruit, but today I did it, I finally did it.
Guacamole is one of those wonderful dishes that is perfect for everyone. Lactose intolerant? No problem. Can't eat gluten? No worries. Vegan? Be my guest. Raw foodie? Hop right in! The chips you eat your guacamole with are another matter, but the spread itself is available to anyone.
And did I mention that the recipe itself is incredibly simple and easy?

Guacamole
-1 avocado
-2 tbsp red onion
-2 tbsp tomato (no seeds)
-1 garlic clove
-1 tbsp cucumber (no seeds)
-1/2 tbsp lime juice (about 1/4 of the lime)
-salt to taste

Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed. Slice the avocado flesh into a checkerboard design while it's still in the skin, then remove it and put it into a bowl. Add the lime juice (to prevent browning and add flavour) and then mash the avocado with a fork. Dice the red onion, cucumber, and tomato, and add it to the bowl. finely chop the garlic or press it with a garlic press, and add it to the bowl. Stir together and add salt to taste. Serve with chips or crackers of your choice.
Simple and delicious. For the first time today it didn't seem like such a bad thing to be the only one in the house that eats avocados, because it meant I got to eat this whole bowl by myself.
I think this would be the perfect snack to serve the next time I have guests, I'll just have to double the recipe or else there won't be enough to go around! : )
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Yeah! I love guacamole, perfect snack. My family and I fight over it when I make some! Which is why I'm jealous of you. I want a whole bowl of guacamole to myself...

    I've never seen anyone add cucumber before! I basically use the same recipe as you, sans cucumber. I do add garlic salt and pepper, though.

    xx maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, garlic salt sounds perfect for guacamole. I'll have to try it next time. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Well done, I have never made this before. Yours looks just so perfect. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love guacamole more than life itself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I add a bit of chill sauce to mine to give it a spice!

    ReplyDelete