Sunday, May 6, 2012

Double D's Cheesecake

Hello everyone. I've been out for the past few days emceeing an event with some of Manitoba's Ministers. It was a very exciting few days, but now I'm back home and I am exhausted! However, despite my lack of sleep and my running around (along with being told to stall for a few minutes while standing at the podium in the middle of my speech in front of hundreds of people, oh what fun that was) I somehow had enough energy to meet up with some old friends last night, go glow bowling, and then make my first ever trip to Double D's Cheesecake.
Before I continue, I once again would like to thank my friends for being so supportive last evening and helping me with this post by suggesting that we all get different cheesecake combinations and then sample each other's choices. It was a great idea and I'm so glad we did it.
I forgot to take a photo of their operating hours, but I remember seeing that they are open until 10pm most days, and open till 11pm on Saturdays.
The place inside is very nice and simple, with a small seating area for folks that come to eat cheesecake with their friends. The cheesecake itself is of the chilled variety rather than the baked, so they are much lighter than what you would find when eating a slice of New York Style Cheesecake. 
They also have cheesecake sandwiches. They have four flavours of sandwiches, Cookies'n Cream, Chocolate, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Vanilla. You can order one for $1.99, or six for $10.99, and after buying one chocolate to take home for my mom and then later trying a bite, I would highly recommend getting a package of six.
And here is the cafe portion of Double D's Cheesecake.
So like I mentioned above, myself and my two friends each ordered something different. Above is the Mango Cheesecake with blueberries and whip cream.
The Double Chocolate Cheesecake with strawberries, chocolate sauce, and whip cream.
I asked what their most popular cheesecakes were and was told that they were Turtle and Skor. I chose the Skor Cheesecake with chocolate sauce and whip cream.
So then we proceeded to try each other's cheesecakes, and then the chorus of "Mmmmm" began. What can I say, the cheesecake was delicious. I personally prefer baked cheesecake, but this was also very nice and was probably the perfect size for me. I will say one thing. The flavours of the cheesecakes were a lot milder than I was expecting. Really mild actually. So I feel that I should warn you that the fruit toppings my friend's asked for on their cakes almost took over the flavour of the cheesecakes.
In the end we all agreed that the Skor cake I had ordered was everyones favourite, so I can see how it would be one of the more popular flavours.
If you're interested in trying out some of their other flavours, or perhaps their coffees and other beverages, Double D's Cheesecake is located in the St. Vital area across the street from the St. Vital mall, facing the Chapters and Silver City side.

View Larger Map
Double D's Cheesecake on Urbanspoon
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I wish we had something like this place, then I would probably need three jobs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this made me so sad to not live in Canada. Those cheesecakes looks so decadent, and I love the little single(ish) serving sizes! What a fun thing to do with friends, sounds like a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, so this place used to be on St.Anne's when I lived in St.Vital. I literally lived across the street from the old Double Ds. Do you know how dangerous that was!? LOL. I went every single Friday to treat myself to a slice or two. I loved so many flavours! I loved the pineapple one. The pina colada one. The pistachio one! The raspberry chocolate one. Ooooo! I need to make a run to Double Ds soon!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, that does sound dangerous!

      Delete
  4. I love that mango cheese cake with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way they have decorated this plates. The desserts look mouthwatering. Great post!

    ReplyDelete