Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Simple Eggplant and Tomato Appetizer

So now that I have some amazing avocado ice cream in my freezer, I probably won't be making anything sweet for a while. Instead, here's a really simple and easy idea for an appetizer that I found here. It only has a few ingredients, most of which are probably sitting in your house right now, and takes only a few minutes to whip up.

Eggplant and Tomato Appetizer [source]
-1 eggplant
-2 vine ripe tomatoes
-1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup feta cheese
-2 tbs mayonnaise or miracle whip
-1 clove garlic
-oil of choice
-salt and pepper

First wash your vegetables. Then cut the eggplant and tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Toss the eggplant slices in some oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Next toss your feta cheese, parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, and grated garlic into a bowl and mix together.  Then lightly fry your eggplant slices on both sides. Plate the eggplant slices, top each one with a slice of tomato, a spoonful of the cheese mixture, and then finally garnish with some kind of herb (or in my case, cucumber).
Very easy, and very fast to make. One thing I would advise is to choose a long and thin eggplant, rather than one that is very round at the bottom like mine was. I looked for a thinner one, but unfortunately the store had none. 
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really did! I'm glad I found it at the time that tomatoes are coming back in season. : )

      Delete
  2. Hey, I am Gluten free flexitarian.
    I love your simple eggplants and tomato appetizer.
    If you love little spicy do check this eggplant dish by clicking on my name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! This is for my next dinner party. Thanks for sharing X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey VIMWAC
    So I am not really a fan of eggplant,....... but I did notice that you now have 50 followers so thought I would send you a congratulations post. WOW. Great job and I bet that you have a lot more visitors and "lurkers" who are reading your blog.
    I meant to submit a comment earlier to tell you that I see you made the Top 10 Bloggers on Winnipeg's Urbanspoon (#8 when I was last there).
    Very cool. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awfully tasty! :) Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete