Saturday, July 14, 2012

Eating Gelato at La Grotta

I love Winnipeg. I really do. Sure it isn't as big or as well known as other cities in Canada like Vancouver, Edmonton, and of course Toronto, but I feel that as far as places to eat go, Winnipeg can definitely hold its own. Why? Because it feels like everyday I find yet another amazing eatery just around the corner that provides delicious and home made food to the people of Winnipeg.
Recently when I got together with a friend, I discovered a place called La Grotta on Taylor Avenue, and could not believe how I had never heard of this place in all my years of living here.
La Grotta is an Mediterranean Market owned by an Italian family and has pretty much anything you could ask for. Inside are shelves and aisles full of authentic Mediterranean ingredients, a produce section, a bakery complete with cakes and treats you can buy by the slice, there's even a hot food section and seating area that feels a lot similar to what you would find in a food court.
There were a lot of pastas and sides for me to choose from, but in the end I settled on getting a plate of cheesy vegetarian pasta for $7.00.
Then when dinner was done, my friend and I moved over to my new favourite section of the market. The gelato counter. There were 24 different flavours for us to choose from (and my friend says that they sometimes change), so we decided to both get two scoops each of different flavours and then share them.
On the left is hazelnut on the bottom and tiramisu on top (complete with lady finger!), and on the right is mango on the bottom and strawberry on top. Wow, the gelato was so delicious and creamy, and perfect for this hot weather we've been receiving lately.
The gelato was definitely my favourite part of the meal, and was a great price at only $3.00 for two scoops. But now I can't wait to go back and try their cakes!
View Larger Map
La Grotta Mediterranean Market on Urbanspoon
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Love La Grotta, but i've never had the gelato there! I NEED to try the tiramisu! YUM. Sounds incredible.

    I *heart* Winnipeg too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouthwatering dishes and love the look of that ice cream! It's the perfect time to enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete