Thursday, August 9, 2012

Amazing Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

Remember when I made fresh blueberry pancakes that stole my heart, and then came up with the idea of making apple cinnamon pancakes? Well, this morning I did it, and now my heart has been given to another. To make this super easy recipe, I combined a little bit of my apple crisp recipe with the "griddle cake" recipe from my mom's high school cookbook. The result? Pure simplistic genius.

Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
Batter:
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 cup milk (I use almond milk)
-1 egg
-2 tbsp melted butter
-2 tbsp sugar
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
Filling:
-1/4 of an apple (I suggest Granny Smith because they won't break down too much in the heat)
-1 tbsp brown sugar
-1 tsp cinnamon

To create the batter, it's as simple as whisking all the dry ingredients together, then mixing all the wet ingredients together, then adding the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Use a hand mixer to combine well. To make the filling is even easier. Thinly slice the apple with either a knife or mandolin. Then cut the thin slices into smaller squares and rectangles. Then add the sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. 
I tried a few different ways to put the apple filling into the pancake. Pour some batter into the pan, then put the filling on top. Pour some batter onto the pan, put on the filling, and then add more batter. But for some reason that just didn't work out because either the pancake had difficulty cooking properly or the apples got burned. In the end I tried mixing the batter and filling together before putting it onto the pan and that seemed to work out perfectly.
The filling.
When the pancake begins to form large bubbles on the top, it is ready to be flipped over.
Ahh, such a beautiful colour. : )
And here's how the final product looked. I sliced up a little more of the fresh apple to top my pancake, and then added some agave nectar as syrup. Delicious. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. These look so good! I don't usually care for pancakes but I'd like to try these.

    ReplyDelete